top of page

How Much Water Should You Drink A Day?

Updated: Dec 27, 2022

In our previous article, we talked about the benefits of drinking water. Now the question is, "How much water should you drink in a day?" Answering this question is not as easy as it seems. Experts have different opinions on the subject. Let's dive right in.

How much water do we lose in a day?

A healthy person loses approximately 2.5 liters of water in total, 1.5 liters of water through urine, and 1 liter through breathing and sweating.

Does what we eat affect our daily water needs?

Approximately 20 percent of the amount of water we need daily is met by the foods we eat. We need to get the remaining 80 percent by drinking water.

How much water should I drink?

The amount of water that people should consume daily depends on their activity, gender, and how much they sweat. Experts avoid giving an exact answer to the question of "How much water should I drink a day?"

According to a study at Mayo Clinic, the answer is,

  • 2.7 liters for women

  • 3.7 liters for men.

Don't forget, we get 1 in 5 of this amount from food.

how much water you should drink a day

Another study shows that an adult needs 1 - 1.5 ml of water for the energy spent per calorie. If you burn 2000 calories a day, you need to drink 2-3 liters of water a day.

If you

  • Do heavy exercise

  • Work at a job that requires strong physical activity,

  • Face severe temperature changes,

  • Have abnormal conditions such as fever, diarrhea, vomiting,

  • Use pills or laxatives, you need more water than usual.


So, there is no clear answer to "How much water should I drink a day?" However, in parallel with the researches, it wouldn't be wrong to say, in addition to the water we get from food, we need to drink approximately 2-3 liters of water per day for a healthy life.

bottom of page